Jews in Częstochowa
Jewish Cemetery 2006
Founded in 1799, one of the largest Jewish cemeteries in Poland. It is located on Huta Czestochowa area (which was build in 1902). To the 18th century, there was a special decree called "De non tolerandis Judaeis", so no Jews resided in the town. In 1858, almost 3000 Jews lived in Czestochowa and their number increased to 12 thounsand in 1900. Poles have often persecuted local Jews, for example, in 1919 (gen. Haller's soldiers killed 7 Jews and wounded 32 others), in 1937 (15 thousand Poles demolished 46 Jewish shops, 21 flats and burnt the synagogue), and in 1946 (pogrom in Kielce, so most Jews left Czestochowa and went abroad).